Read: Hip Hop Family Tree #1

Add one of the world's best comic book companies to one of the world's best stories, and you've got a great book. Hip Hop Family Tree #1 is a Fantagraphics (Ghost World etc) comic telling the origin stories of hip hop. Printed on gorgeous paper, they've recreated the nostalgic feel of cheap comic book paper on a high quality stock. The artwork and colouring are stunning.

Ed Piskor told Red Bull magazine how his plan to give the comic a unique retro look was a sticking point with some companies, leading to working with Fantagraphics.

"I just knew it would turn out pretty cool, because a lot of people were coming at me trying to publish it. So I had the option to see who I wanted to go with. Ultimately I wanted the book to look in a very specific way, and a lot of the companies didn’t quite see my exact vision. But Fantagraphics never said no, so the final book is exactly what I wanted. That’s why I worked with them, it wasn’t out of monetary gain or anything like that… It was more: If we’re gonna kill trees these days to make books, it better be the best looking books that we can."

Definitely worth a hoon, you can find it in Auckland Libraries' catalogue and request it here.





This entry was posted on Thursday, March 20 and is filed under ,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply