REVIEW - TOBIAS JESSO JR. - GOON



Goon is the album I didn’t realise I needed until I heard it.
After a few weeks binging on the latest dark glitchy hip-hop releases, and another few delving into the #NWOBHM (for the uninitiated that’s “New Wave of British Heavy Metal”) to appease a metal friend, I felt-super burnt out as a listener. This album of simple, humble piano driven ballads was a breath of fresh air that asked so little of me but gave so much. Goon offers little more than blocky piano chords (think Lennon’s “Imagine”), unabashed love-stricken sentiments set to well-worn rhyming partners, and a warm, decidedly un-2K15 production aesthetic. Yet such is the effortlessness and consistency of this batch of songs (it must have been hard to pick a single because so many are home runs) that I found myself asking nothing more of it.
The self-deprecatingly titled Goon is a welcome reminder that sometimes a song from the heart is all you need to keep you afloat.

Recommended by Simon C, Central City Library

This entry was posted on Tuesday, June 23 and is filed under ,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply